Friday, December 16, 2011

How can I strengthen my Linksys router's signal?

I have a Linksys WRT300N router in my office which is in the back of my detached garage about 35-40 feet from the house. My mom and niece have laptops in the house and would like to connect to the internet (Hughesnet-satellite) through my router. They are getting a very weak signal now. What can I do to strengthen this signal? Do I need a stronger router - a range expander - a bridge - or all of the above?|||You can do a few things to boost the signal. You can move the router to a more central location. You can raise the router higher up and away from interference sources. You can add a bigger antenna to it. You can simply add on reflector onto the router's antennas (but it will boost the signal in a direction, not in all directions *see here: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/tem鈥?/a> but it will help if your router is on the direct opposite side of the house from the pc's). Or you can add on another router to the network and simply set it up with a local IP with DHCP turned off, which will basically turn it into a a wireless hub. Or you can buy something advertised as a wireless hub or range expander. You can also, using another router, do a wireless bridge http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wir鈥?/a> .|||Do what the video down below shows. It really works. The only difference from a high range router and yours is the antennas.

No comments:

Post a Comment