Saturday, December 10, 2011

How do I get my linksys router to increase wifi range?

I have a linksys router, and I use the wifi a lot. But as soon as I get 40 feet away it cuts out of range. It there a setting I can fix or do I have to go out and buy router or signal booster?|||I believe in KISS so a basic solution MAY be best. Complications ALWAYS cause problems.


Clearly you want to spend as little money as possible- so to the two replies I see, I would add my suggestion you buy in a 9dBi gain antenna for the router.


These can be bought for about GBP10 on eBay and should offer some sort of gain at appreciable distance from the router. Simply unscrew the supplied antenna and replace with the new. It is as simple as that!|||You can buy another router and use it as a WiFi repeater (I'm not sure what model will do it with stock firmware but ASUS 5XX series with DD-WRT should do it). You may also try to flash your router with 3rd party firmware like D-WRT and increase the transmitter power. Or you may try upgrading to 802.11n standard, it should have extended range comparing to 802.11g|||placement of the router can make a world of difference. Signal falls and bounces. Less walls the better and the higher the router the better.


Also don't laugh but check these vids. a simple foil dish will direct the signal where you want it to go.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnHz75dm鈥?/a>





http://www.dailywireless.com/features/10鈥?/a>








If you want to spend the money you can get range expanders and additional access points.

No comments:

Post a Comment