Saturday, December 10, 2011

How come my Linksys router was able to work "without a modem"?

I was trying to install my new NetGear router, but, during installment, it said that it couldn't find a modem. While I was still using my Linksys router, I was able to just plug the ethernet cable into the router and directly to the computer, and the internet would work. Does anyone know why this is?





(I know that modems are needed to connect to the internet, but, for some reason, Linksys did anyway. However, I don't actually know how these routers work, so...)|||may be your linksys hs combo both as a modem and wireless router. Is it the telephone wire connected to the router? if yes you have combo. Good luck|||Some utility companies offer TV/Phone/Internet over Fiber Optics. If that's your situation the house is wired and you'll have an ethernet jack in the wall that connects directly to the utility company. Or your house might be wired for Cable High Speed and also have an ethernet jack in the wall. In either case you won't see a modem, but you'll have high speed and you can connect ethernet cable directly from the wall jack to a router and then to your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment