Friday, December 16, 2011

How to set up a LAN connection with a Linksys router?

I will be attempting to set up a LAN connection between my laptop and two others using a Linksys 1 port router Model number BEFSR11 and a hub/splitter. I was just wondering if it is as easy as plugging in the computers and then accessing the game: Starcraft. If someone could clear it up for me that Would be well appreciated.|||I am assuming you want a cable based network, not a wireless network.


You need to make sure all computer have network cables and connected to the router/hub, and connect router to the modem.


If you use XP, right click on My Computer then go to Properties. Check under Computer Name tab, make sure ALL your computers have the same Workgroup name (say HOME), if not change it by clicking Change button.


Once you do that, all your computer will be in the same workgroup already and you can access each other by clicking on My Network Places %26gt; Microsoft Windows Network %26gt; HOME (or Your Workgroup name).|||The BEFSR11 should work just fine with a hub or switch (not a splitter). Each computer should get a unique LAN IP address from the router. I had such a setup a few years ago, along with a web server and a wireless bridge, all off the BEFSR11 and a 5 port switch.


Make sure you have a DHCP pool defined in the router, and all LAN computers set to get DHCP addresses

No comments:

Post a Comment